Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Sleeping through the night???

When Jacob was an infant people used to ask me "Is he sleeping through the night yet?" I, of course, answered in the negative, because "no, he wasn't, I was still having to get up from my slumber to feed him." Often times, these people would go on to say "my son/daughter slept through the night at 8/10/12/etc weeks." I was always amazed, and honestly, a bit jealous. How in the world were these children sleeping through the night when mine was still getting up to eat? Was he that much of a pig? I come to find out later that the definition of 'sleeping through the night' is a 5-6 hour stretch of sleeping before the baby wakes to eat again. If you ask me, that is a far cry from 'sleeping through the night.'
So...for those of you who are wondering if Luke is sleeping through the night yet...my answer is no....I still get up to feed him a couple of times during the night, so in my mind, he is not yet sleeping through the night. But, if you ask someone else, they would say "jump for joy, your baby is already sleeping through the night" because yes, 3 of the last 4 nights, Luke has had a 6 hour stretch between feedings at night and at least a 5 hour stretch a couple of other nights in the last week or so. The subsequent stretches are not as long, but we are making progress for sure. Hooray Luke!

No comments:

Post a Comment