Monday, August 17, 2009

Independence


Last week we began really working on Jacob exhibiting more independence when it came to his clothes and the bathroom. In just a few weeks he'll be heading back to preschool and going to the bathroom by himself and coming back out with all his clothes on is a must in my book. We've worked on the dressing and undressing ourselves for awhile, but honestly, I haven't forced it, even though it is a skill he probably should have learned a year ago. He often says "I can't" and gets very angry and frustrated, so I just do it to save myself from dealing with yet another meltdown. Except for the shirt (which I cannot figure out how to teach him to do), I know he can put on and take off his clothes and shoes (socks are another story), but he gets frustrated so easily and often and just won't try. So although learning the skill is important, instilling the confidence and desire to do it everytime is even more important for Jacob. Any suggestions for how to do just that are very welcomed!

In the potty department, he is doing fantastic! In fact, he doesn't even want us to be in the room (or stall when out and about) when he is going to the bathroom now (except to help clean up occasionally.) He says "I do it myself!" I'm thrilled that he not only wants to do it, but he does. He only rarely comes out from the bathroom without his pants pulled up, so that is a big step forward. Next and hopefully final step with the potty training - staying dry at night...

2 comments:

  1. if you figure out the "dry at night" thing. Please share the secret !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julia is finally dry at night. Not sure how to teach it. It's their bodies that wake them up or do not wake them up. Julia was potty trained at 27 months and now at 4 1/2 she can sleep all night w/o an accident. Strange. I have no idea if there is a way to teach it or not. On the dressing issues, maybe just lots and lots of praise for doing it himself or even a sticker chart where he earns stickers and after so many a prize??

    ReplyDelete