Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The 9 Month Stats and Other News

Luke had his 9 month well-baby exam today. Developmentally, he is doing great, hitting all the milestones and then some. However, she was a bit concerned about his height and weight curves.

Luke weighed in at 18.6lbs (20%), is 27.5" tall (25%) and his head is 46.4cm (75%). His head continued on the same curve he's been following since he was 2 weeks old, but his height and weight have taken a dip. He began in the 75% range, then fell to the 50-60% range at 6 months, and now he is in the 20-25% range. He hasn't gained an ounce in 3 weeks.

She initially chalked it up to a high activity level, but after hearing how much he eats and how often he nurses (including in the middle of the night) she decided there must be something else. She tested for diabetes, which came back negative, thank goodness. Instead, she thinks that he isn't getting the ounces (and thus calories) he needs from me anymore. If he would take a bottle, she suggested supplementing with formula, but since he won't, I will probably have to wean him completely (pretty much cold turkey) to get him to drink formula from a bottle or cup. I really don't like that solution. I want my baby to thrive and get what he needs, but 1) I'm just not ready to wean yet, and 2) I do not want to cold turkey him on the nursing to get him to take formula. That just sounds so mean....

I hope to continue nursing and get him to take something from a cup....that is my only hope since I know the bottle is out as long as I am nursing. I'll keep you posted on what I decide.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sure he's fine. Look at him, standing! and developmentally great in all aspects. Don't give up breastfeeding if he's happy and doing well. Maybe add some higher calorie foods during the day and more often. Maybe at night add formula after you nurse. Julia at 9months would drink 8 ounces of formula after I nursed her. She obviously was needing more. Do what you feel is right as the mommy! I sometimes think the Doctors make us panic for not reason at all. That is my two sense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one is tough for me to read. It irritates me to no boundary to hear stories like yours. Ciri and Payton were told the same thing from the pedi..I say he looks and is hitting all the milestones that he is suppose to. I would continue bfing too..add some yogurt to his meals..I think 110 cals. Also, around this age they begin to set a new curve on the growth chart. Nothing in better than a mommy's milk. Sorry for the banter..=) On another note, how's swim going?

    ReplyDelete