Friday, July 31, 2009

Randomness

Since this blog is not only a way to keep family up to date on the happenings of the boys' lives, but a little journal medium for me as well, I have been putting a few notes down each night of things the boys are doing or did that day. Most will be of no significance to any of you, but just my way of 'recording' life as we live it.

Almost 3 weeks ago, we moved Luke up to a size 4 diaper at night because he was waking up in wet pajamas some mornings. I have friends who's children never got out of size 3 before potty training, and now my 12 month old is wearing a size 4 at night (as did Jacob). On the diaper front, Jacob is still in a pull up at night. When we started potty training, he was able to go through the night without wetting, but now, he is wet in the morning most days. Not quite sure what to do with that....

Luke is wearing 12 months and some 18 months clothes. Jacob is in 3T for the most part, but crazy enough he is in 4T in his Disney Cars underwear. I guess they run small???

Luke loves Jacob and would love to play all day with him, Jacob just doesn't let him play. It is cute, yet sad, to see Luke follow Jacob around trying to play.

About 2 weeks ago, I realized that Luke didn't seem to recognize any body parts when prompted (shame on me, that is all my fault). So, we have started talking about a few. He picked up on 'feet' very quickly. I said something to the tune of 'what is on your feet' and he reached down and touched his feet. I know Jacob knew several body parts by this age, so I know it is lack of teaching on my part.

Luke is really really into fruit right now, and would fruit all day if we let him. Jacob, on the other hand, has started to become picky and doesn't eat much. As picky as I am, I really can't be surprised if I end up with a picky eater. We are working on it though.

A week ago Thursday, as we were driving to the gym, we were stopped at a red light. Unprompted, Jacob says, "Mommy, red means stop, green means go and yellow means, don't slow down." I about peed my pants when he said that. Definitely a Houston driver in training.

Luke has gotten really fast walking already. He often times will just take off, especially when going somewhere he knows he is not supposed to go. As he's toddling off, he'll take a look over his shoulder to see if you are following, smile at you, then runs off, giggles and hides in a corner.

The biggest adjustment to Luke's walking, is his intensified climbing. A week ago Sunday, he learned how to climb onto our Lazy Boy recliner and now does it all the time. If he would just sit down, I wouldn't worry about it so much, but he just climbs to new heights, onto tables, and leans over the arm rests. Gives me a heart attack everytime. On Tuesday, he figured out how to get onto our couch too(which is fairly tall). I find him on top of all sorts of boxes, play tables, buckets of toys, etc.

Jacob has a book about trucks. He's learned all the names of the different loaders, scrapers, excavators, etc. Excavator is said 'escagator', all terrain vehicle is my favorite, said 'veecaler.' He and Daddy love to read that book and get very excited to say GIANT DUMP TRUCK in a loud, deep voice.

Last Friday, I needed to vacuum. Luke got a little vacuum for his birthday, so Jacob decided he wanted to vacuum while I did. He went room to room with me, but he made sure to stay away from the big vacuum. I think he is still a little apprehensive about it.

A new things Luke started a week ago is squinting his eyes when 'crying' and when 'laughing' I think he's doing it on purpose, it's pretty cute.

When we went to the doctor for a recheck last week, Luke had lost half a pound from 2 weeks ago. Honestly, I'm not sure how because he eats so much. I guess all that walking/running around burns a ton of calories.

Unlike any other activity that requires staying in one spot for more than 5 seconds, Luke seems to like putting on his shoes. He will sit calmy and let you put them on. He LOVES being outside, even though it is nearly 100 degrees everyday, and I think he equates shoes with going outside. He isn't all that steady in in shoes yet, but I see progress everyday.

1 comment:

  1. Fun memories!! You'll be so happy you have it all written down. The boys will enjoy it as they get older too I imagine! I know I'd love to read about myself as a baby :)

    ReplyDelete