Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Sick

After 2 weeks of a runny nose and several days of coughing (especially at night), I finally decided to take Jacob in to see his doctor. I called yesterday morning and there were no appointments available for the day...with any doctor in the office! I was amazed. Since it wasn't urgent (after all, he wasn't getting worse, it just wouldn't go away), I made an appointment for today. Anyways...as it turns out, Jacob has a double ear infection and sinus infection. Poor guy. So, back on the antibiotics we go. Of course, when something like this happens, I feel like such a bad mommy.
Everytime we leave the doctor with a positive illness diagnosis, I always question myself. Did I wait too long to take him in? I thought it was a cold and I was giving him some time to kick it on his own. I feel like after 21 months of doing this, I should be able to tell when my child is sick and needing to see the doctor. Unfortunately, my usual tell-tale sign (Jacob acting clingy and overly fussy and whiny) has been ongoing for over a month, so I couldn't use that to identify his illness. He rarely gets a fever (I think when he had strep over a year ago was the last time he had a fever), he doesn't tug or mess with his ears, and he doesn't really slow down when he's sick...he's still go go go. I'll just have to keep watching and figure out some other signs.
In other news, we are doing better with the pappy. He hasn't gotten in outside of his bed in several days. Hopefully, once he's feeling better he'll quit whining for it altogether...we'll see.

2 comments:

  1. Don't feel bad Sarah. My honest opinion, sometimes doctors overmedicate anyway, he may have gotten better on his own! You did the right thing and he'll get better. He was still acting himself so you had no way to really know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are finally on the mend at the Trifilio house. I completely understand, I thought Bella was the only one that doesn't "act" sick when she is very sick. I hope Jacob is feeling better !!

    ReplyDelete