Thursday, September 4, 2008

Jacob's First Day of School and a Luke is Sleeping!


Today was Jacob's first day of preschool. We were both very excited about it (perhaps me more-so than him). I spent the past few days and especially this morning talking it up. Some people say when you send your kid off to school for the first time, you cry a bit. Now I know they are talking about sending your little one off to kindergarten, but this is school, just less of it. I wasn't even close. I was so happy for him knowing that he was going to have a fabulous time and I was going to enjoy some quiet time without him.
After talking about school all morning, Jacob was a little upset as we pulled into the church parking lot "Mommy, go to school." I assured him that is where we were going....school was at church. He seemed to be ok with that answer and said "Mommy school too?" It was cute. We sat in the car rider line for about 5 minutes this morning and when it was our turn one of the teacher aides whisked him out of his seat and into the building. Luke and I enjoyed our afternoon together and before we knew it, 2:15 was here. Jacob's teacher was the one to put him back into the car and she said he had a fabulous first day. He played well and hard, smiled a lot, ate his whole lunch (no surprise there) and even took a nap without his pacifier on the nap mat. Of course, she didn't say how long he napped, but the point is, he napped. He was very tired this afternoon. He'll have to get used to the long day and shorter nap. I'm sure it will be fine in a couple of weeks. We are excited for next Tuesday already.
A quick note about Luke and sleeping. I decided to go for the Miracle Blanket swaddle - and WOW, what results. Here is what happened the past two nights.

Tuesday: eat at 7:30pm, to sleep at 8:30pm, didn't wake to eat until 2:15am(almost 7 hrs between feedings), and then again at 6:15am

Wednesday: eat at 8:15pm, to sleep at 9:15pm, didn't wake to eat until 4:15am (8 hrs!!) and then again at 8:15am

So, needless to say, I am thrilled with the results. I guess he can go a long time between feedings and sleep well at night - when swaddled. Maybe he needs it a little longer......(and perhaps I'm being a little selfish, loving the long stretches of sleep) I'm continuing to do the no swaddle at naps (which he doesn't seem to do much of unless he is in the car or being held) and we'll revisit the nighttime no swaddle when he protests the swaddle more - which he hasn't done the last 2 nights. I don't have a picture of his swaddled to post now, I'll hopefully grab one tonight.

3 comments:

  1. Jacob looks so cute ;-) and Welcome to the world of sleeping through the night !!! Isn't heaven? Team Swaddle !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun for Jacob to go to school. He will love it! There is so much for him to do and learn. Enjoy your time w/ only one, it's precious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not cryning either Sarah, I'm gonna throw myself a party. Not that I don't love having my kids at home...

    ReplyDelete