Monday, May 11, 2009

Potty Training Update

Though I really can't say Jacob is potty trained just yet, I can say that potty training took a huge step forward this week. Except for sleeping and school, (which I'm still not too happy about) Jacob is wearing underwear all of the time now. (And honestly, I could probably leave him in underwear when he sleeps too because he always wakes up dry from naps and usually is dry in the morning too, but I don't like changing sheets, so we'll keep the pullups for a bit longer.)

At home, he just goes to the bathroom as needed, and when we are away from home he has been doing very good at telling us when he needs to go. He's even had to hold it from time to time when we weren't in a position to go to the bathroom at the time. We are very proud of him.

The biggest issues are that (1) he is hesitant to tell others he needs to go and (2) when he does, he doesn't tell them he needs help or refuses the help. Today, for example, at the YMCA childwatch, he told the worker he needed to go (right as he needed to go, of course) and they ran him to the bathroom. The problem is, he still needs a little assistance. He can get his pants down, but he can't climb onto the toilet by himself and his legs are too short for him to stand at the toilet (unless he has a stool.) So, today, I think he tried to stand and go (it is a short toilet,) but he just wasn't tall enough and he wet his pants. I was paged to get him and he was crying when I picked him up, I felt so bad. I guess I just need to talk to the workers to make sure he gets a little help, if they can do that. I hate to put him back in a pull up when he's there because he would probably just use it instead.

I assume we'll still have accidents from time to time and may even have a setback, but for now, we are very happy with his progress.

2 comments:

  1. Don't put him back in pullups! Tell the workers that he needs assistance and is too timid to ask for it. And just remember, he's made awesome progress and will get better each week. This too shall pass! The pool pics are super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah Jacob!! Listen to Lisa, I did and it was great. Samuel is hilarious when he goes potty. He removes all clothing and shoes, climbs up onto the toilet and then faces forward and finally sits down. It's quite the process!!

    ReplyDelete