Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Potty Training - The first week

As mentioned earlier, we decided to dive right into potty training last week while Jacob was on spring break from school and bible study. I have to say, I am pleasantly surprised by his success so far. By no means, is he anywhere near the move to underwear yet, but we have taken a few baby steps.

At home, he uses the potty most of the time. He does know when he needs to go and usually will tell me before running to the bathroom, but I still find that I ask him a million times a day if he needs to go, just in case. He is often times naked from the waist down to make the dash to the bathroom a bit easier. If we are in and out of the house, he is in a diaper or pullup because I have no interest in cleaning up pee or poop from his clothes, the car, or the floor. At home, if he is in a diaper, he still will tell me he needs to go potty, but once we step foot outside the house, all bets are off. I guess that will be phase 2.

Until last night we hadn't had any poop in the potty success, but Jacob was so excited after finally doing it last night, that I hope we have turned a corner in that area. We'll see.

Naps and nighttime he is still in a diaper, once again, selfishly, because I have no interest in changing his sheets daily. He has woken up dry from naps all but one day and has woken up dry in the mornings on 6 of 8 days. I'm not sure if I am encouraged by this or frustrated. Of course, I am happy that he is able to hold it for such a long time - it means his body is figuring out what it needs to do - but at the same time it frustrates me because it shows that he can do it, so why does he continue to pee in his diaper? I'm blaming it on old habits dying hard. :)

Today, Jacob returned to school. I sent a note to his teacher telling her of our recent venture into potty training, so I am hoping, with their encouragement and the practice of it somewhere besides home, we will continue to move forward. I'm sure you are sitting on the edge of your seat, waiting for that update.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck. Samuel has decided recently to run to the potty for pee pee so I'm excited. I've left it up to him. He's been in a pull for several months b/c he can get himself dressed and undressed this way. I hope Jacob continues to do well w/ the potty. I'm going to buy some lolipops for motivation at my house!

    ReplyDelete