Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Raging ear infection in both ears

Those were the words I heard from the pedi this morning after she examined Jacob's ears. "On a scale of 0 to 4, with 4 being the worst, he is a 4 in the right ear and a 4+ with blisters in the left." Wow, not what you want to hear, especially when it comes to your kiddos. The doc was worried about rupture so she suggested he have an antibiotic shot to get it into his system quickly. Holding down a hysterical, very strong 2 year old for a very painful shot is not easy. In addition to the ear infection, she also heard a little wheezing in his chest, said he had swollen glands and cruddy sinuses. Joy.

Honestly, I'm not quite sure how he got so sick so fast. Besides a little runny nose and a slight cough the past couple of days, he has not really showed signs of being sick, until last night. At about 5pm yesterday, he announced he wanted to go night-night and off he went. We only woke him to give him some Motrin and change him into his pajamas later in the evening. He woke several times during the night feeling bad and wanting me to "kiss his ear." Poor guy. I felt lucky we got in to see the doctor this morning. He'll be on antibiotics for 10 days, the puffer 3 times a day until the wheezing and coughing subside, and numbing ear drops until the ear pain goes away. Once he gets antibiotics in his system, he normally bounces back quickly, so I am expecting the same this time around.


Now, I am just praying that Luke doesn't get sick. He is about 1 1/2 days behind Jacob in the runny nose category. We'll see...

4 comments:

  1. oh my goodness. I hope he feels better. I can't even imagine the pain he's in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you poor thing! I hope he gets to feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no :-( I hope he feels better soon. If you need anything, please let me know !!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are not getting a break from illnesses are you! I hope he does bounce back quickly and that your little guy stays healthy!

    ReplyDelete